We admit, we had some fun with our list of 17 Things Guys Do That Turn Women Off. So to be fair, and as promised, here is our take on some of the things women can do to make a guy head for the hills. I have talked to many men and heard their complaints, and I often agree with them. Some are right on, others just a bit too fussy. We all have our threshold of things we can tolerate and stuff we can’t stand. Here is our list of top turn-offs for men.
17 TOP GUY TURN-OFFS
1. She’s clingy. While it’s natural for women to be more emotionally attached to their mates, some go a bit too far. Becoming neurotic and anxious, needing her man to constantly acknowledge his love…this is a real turn off. Men like to be the pursuers rather than the pursued, and smothering a guy is a sure-fire way to scare him away.
2. She takes off her makeup in front of him. Even if there are two sinks in a bathroom, watching a woman take off her makeup is not sexy. Close the door and proceed.
3. She leaves her dirty underwear lying around. Women in the movies may wear beautiful, expensive and sexy lingerie every day, but most of us mere mortals do not. Don’t leave a pair of dirty panties on the bathroom floor, especially on those certain calendar days.
4. She leaves sanitary products in sight. We’re talking about the used ones. Make the effort to conceal and dump them in the trash can. Yes, our periods are a fact of life, but some things are best kept out a guy’s field of vision.
Read Related: Male Models Dish on What Makes a Woman Sexy
5. She wears granny nightgowns. No guy needs to feel like he’s crawling into bed with his mother or grandmother. Even a tank top and pajama pants are sexier.
6. She gets drunk. You may be cute when you’re tipsy, but you’re probably sloppy and obnoxious when you’re drunk. So know your limit, and stick to it.
7. She wears “mom jeans.” Throw them out! Even Barack Obama got teased about wearing them. Find a nice-fitting pair of jeans that do not button above your navel.
8. She gives him way too many directions during sex. Men feel pressured enough to perform well in bed. If their tango partner is trying to direct their every step, this is likely to “soften the mood,” and not in a good way. This is especially true in a new relationship. Slow down with those directions, allow him to find his way, and then hint subtly.
9. She stays in her pajamas and robe all day. Even if it’s your day off, make some effort. The sight of an unshowered, unkempt woman lounging in pajamas and robe well past midday just sends the message that she doesn’t care about her appearance.
10. She curses like a sailor. A little swearing at the right time is fine, but a woman constantly using foul language isn’t sexy. Your guy doesn’t need you to be “one of the guys”—that’s what his guy friends are for!
11. She belittles his friends. Some women feel entitled to badmouth their guy’s friends, but all this does is make him feel stuck in the middle. Invite the friends you like over for dinner, and find a way to tolerate the ones you don’t like.
12. She expects him to have ESP. Chances are, your man is not a psychic. It’s emotionally exhausting for him to constantly second-guess and try to read your thoughts. So give him a break, and tell him (nicely) what you want or how you feel.
13. She shares too many intimate details. Sharing too many personal details about your relationship with your friends is embarrassing and potentially belittling to your man. Your girlfriends do not need to know his penis size or his preferences—or shortcomings—in the sack.
14. She leaves her hair strands in the tub. Finding your hair in the tub or shower when he’s ready to clean up is gross and annoying. And when the drain gets clogged, guess who has to unclog it and pull out that clump of hair?
15. She makes fun of his domestic prowess. Although the modern man is more at ease in the kitchen and with household chores than his predecessors were, he probably still needs some encouragement. Laughing at his attempts to iron a shirt or bake a cake won’t make him love you any more or encourage him to try harder next time.
16. She nags. No man (hopefully!) wants to go to bed with his mom. Don’t nag him like his mami did—or does.
17. She tells him how to dress. So your guy doesn’t have the best taste or style. Buy him some spiffier clothes for Christmas, but don’t dictate what he should wear. Trying to change how a man dresses just suggests that you’re trying to change who he is.
Maybe these aren’t the top 17 turn-offs for every guy, but we think we’ve hit on some winners here. What do you think? Did we miss some, or should some of these turn-offs on our list be forgivable sins?