Read Related: Coffee Drinkers May Live LongerWHAT YOU CAN DO Losing weight is always a good start. Losing 5 to 10 percent of your total body weight will help decrease the risks associated with abdominal fat. Weight loss can be achieved by:
- Cutting Calories: Cut 500 to 1,000 calories from your daily intake through diet and exercise.
- Taking it Slow: Lose weight slowly—one to two pounds a week.
- Moving: Exercise three to five days a week. Moderate activity such as walking for 30-45 minutes will help. Increase activity intensity according to your fitness level.
- Eating Wisely: Restrict simple carbs such as sugars and refined grains, drink adequate amounts of water, and limit the intake of alcohol and soft drinks, especially those with artificial sweeteners.
- Sleeping: Sleep brings down your cortisol levels and helps you lose weight, especially abdominal weight.