UPDATED October 17th, 2017
We all know the types: the ladies’ man, the mama’s boy, the commitaphobe, and the nice guy who just wants to be friends (to name a few). Adding to the non-candidates for adulthood is the man-child. Emotionally immature men can seem nice, easygoing, and loveable, but a man-child will live up to his name every time.
The very emotionally mature Yashar Ali writes: “ At some point, shouldn’t a grown man be doing instead of just trying on the basic gestures all of us should be expected to make in a healthy relationship?” Amen! If the man in your life is only an adult by name, and if any of the examples below sound familiar, maybe it’s time to rethink things…
Also Enjoy: 17 Things Women Do That Turn Men Off!
1. Inappropriate Behavior A mature man is someone you don’t really have to worry about, whereas the man-child can be embarrassing. He’s may drink too much at the office party, turn on football during your mother’s Thanksgiving dinner and answer his cell phone at your friend’s wedding. Like the four-year-old he resembles, he’ll probably pout if corrected.
Also Enjoy: 17 Things Guys Do That Turn Women Off
2. Video Games Emotionally immature men can’t be bothered to go to your family reunion because it’s the same day the newest version of Assassin’s Creed arrives in stores. He can’t come up with his share of the rent because he had to buy the newest game system.
3. Your Feelings Don’t Matter He doesn’t want to hear about your day, he doesn’t want to meet your parents…worse, he’s rude to your friends. If your opinions are different from his own, he ignores them.
4. Selfish Mature men put your needs first. Emotionally immature men will ask you to get them coffee but never offer bring some for you. If he buys you a birthday present, it’s tickets to a game he wants to see.
Also Enjoy: 5 Bedroom Ideas That Intimidate Men
5. Bros Before…You Know Whether its poker night or golf, boy’s night takes precedence over quality couple time. He doesn’t understand why you get so upset when he leaves you sitting at home on Friday night while gets a beer with the guys. When the guys come over to watch a game, he expects you to wait on them.
6. Emotionally Unavailable They don’t want an adult relationship, they want a party. They bail when you need to lean on them. They can’t commit to doing anything with you because something more fun might turn up. Mature men don’t play (as many) games.
Also Enjoy: 10 Reasons Why Your Man Has Checked Out
7. Obsessed with Toys They have the newest gaming systems, the biggest TVs and the shiniest car, boat, bike, etc. They sit on that ratty hand-me-down couch because all the money for furniture went to surround sound.
8. Adrenaline Junkies The more reckless it sounds, the more emotionally immature men want to try it. Dare them to jump off a cliff and they’ll fetch their GoPro and post the video. Running is boring, running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain is awesome.