Sure, you can do predictable wings, nachos and beer for your Super Bowl party, but why not score a touchdown with your guests with an inventive appetizer and cocktail? Courtesy of the Food Network.com, this Super Bowl Six Layer Dip, paired with Beer Sangria, will have your partiers wishing for overtime—if only so they can have another helping!
SIX LAYERS & A CHIP DIP
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 to 10 servings
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups lowfat shredded Cheddar
2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
1 jalapeno, stemmed, finely chopped (with seeds for more heat)
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1½ cups nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
½ cup fresh cilantro, leaves and some stems, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
5 scallions (white and green), thinly sliced
Baked tortilla chips, for dipping
1. On a cutting board, smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste.
2. Put the garlic, beans, chili powder, water, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Spread in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole or gratin dish, or in individual sized dishes, as desired.
4. Scatter the cheese over the beans.
5. Halve and seed the avocados, then mash with the jalapeno and another teaspoon of salt in a small bowl.
6. Spread a layer of the avocado over the cheese, and then scatter the lettuce on top.
7. Mix the yogurt with the cilantro and then spread over the lettuce.
8. Add a layer of tomatoes and finally scatter the scallions on top.
9. Chill until ready to serve.
10. Garnish with a few cilantro sprigs and serve with baked chips.
And for a great alternative to serving just regular beer you can try this Beer Beer Sangria recipe.
Photos & recipe courtesy of Food Network.com