- Prepare Diablo Sauce at least 20 minutes before starting eggs.
- When sauce is almost finished, place a steaming basket over 1-inch of water; bring water to simmer.
- Meanwhile, cut avocado in half and remove seed. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each avocado half to create a flat surface. Carefully scoop out about half of the avocado flesh without breaking through the flesh at the base. Season with salt.
- Into each avocado half, crack one egg; season with salt. Place avocado halves in steaming basket; cover until eggs are poached, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer each avocado half to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve with *Diablo Sauce.
DIABLO SAUCE Yield: 2 Portions
Ingredients: 1 TSP olive oil 1 finely chopped garlic clove 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes ¼ TSP smoked sweet paprika ½ TSP salt ¼ TSP pepperInstructions:
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil until hot.
- Add 1 finely chopped garlic clove; cook and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
INA’S GUACA MARY (Avocado Version of a Bloody Mary) Yield: 4 Portions (5-1/3 cups plus tequila or vodka)
Ingredients: Kosher salt 2 TSP grated lime rind ½ cup lime juice, divided 2 cups peeled, cubed cucumber 1 fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced 1 cup raw cubed tomatillos 1 cup halved seedless green grapes ½ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves 1 whole seeded fresh Serrano pepper 1 TSP celery salt 6 dashes green hot sauce ¼ TSP freshly ground black pepper 1-1/3 cups unsweetened coconut water Tequila or vodka (optional) Avocados slices, grape tomatoes and pickled onions (optional garnish)