For generations of Latinas, Rita Moreno has been an inspiration and role model. The only Hispanic and one of few performers ever to win an Oscar, Grammy, Tony and Emmy award, Moreno came to prominence in the Golden Age of Hollywood and worked alongside such screen legends as Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, Ann Margret and Marilyn Monroe.
In her new autobiography, Rita Moreno, A Memoir, the actress recalls her childhood as a Puerto Rican immigrant to the Bronx barrio, her Broadway debut at age 13, coming of age in Hollywood, and her tumultuous affair with Marlon Brando. Moreno also recalls her married life, and the joys of being a mother and grandmother.Mamiverse is honored to host a live Twitter-Talk with Rita Moreno on Wednesday March 6 from 9-10 EST, during which Ms. Moreno will answer your tweeted questions about her life in Hollywood, and her struggles against the sexism, racism and later, the ageism stigma of the entertainment industry.
To help inspire questions for Ms. Moreno’s Twitter-Talk, here we’ve compiled some memorable quotes from her autobiography.
- At thirteen I auditioned for and won my first part on Broadway.
- Rita Hayworth was my inspiration.
- I felt such joy when I was on the stage and wanted to do nothing else.
- I could do it all, but Hollywood still didn´t quite know what to do with me.
- I was stereotyped as a hot Latina with smoldering eyes and hips that wouldn’t quit.
- Not every woman has known great love, but I have been lucky enough to have had two.
- There is a thin razor-sharp line between love and obsession.
- West Side Story would change my life forever.
- Motherhood is a romance too.
- This Puerto Rican girl was living the quintessential American dream.
- I personally detest violence, even in make-believe.
- Jack Nicholson was the most obliging of costars.
- I had Spanish albums with children´s songs, and some in English, too.
- I soon found work that fit seamlessly into being a mother.
- My perseverance paid off.
- I had battled racism and sexism all my life. Now I had to battle ageism.
- Growing old in Hollywood is a serious deficit.
- I refused to compromise and make myself look younger than my age.
- When I am deeply upset and inwardly undone, I become very controlled.
- Staying active and persevering is part and parcel of the character of a performer.
- You always have to be able to get up, dust yourself off, and move forward.
- I have since learned—in my seventies and eighties—the real value of women friends
- Retirement is just not in my DNA.
- Can a man love too much? I’ll never know.
- I’m deeply grateful for the applause, and I thrive in the spotlight.