These potato tacos are so good that you just keep eating them, not realizing how many you’ve had! They are great to make when you have a cup of two of leftover mashed potatoes. My mother taught us never to throw anything away…you can always prepare something with leftovers.
Read Related: Springtime Cooking: Pico en Taco Recipe
POTATO TACOS WITH ANCHO CHILE SAUCE
Makes: 8 Tacos
2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
¼ cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
White pepper, to taste
1 ancho chile
½ cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
8 corn tortillas, homemade or store bought
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover by 2-to-3 inches. Add the ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15-minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add the evaporated milk and the butter and season with salt and white pepper.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Cut the chile in half and remove and discard the seeds and stem.
- Put the chile in a small saucepan, add water to cover by 2-inches, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for five minutes, drain, and let cool.
- Remove the loosened skin from the chile and put the halves in a blender. Add the ½ cup water, season with salt, and blend for thirty seconds to a puree.
- Heat the one tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chile puree, reduce the heat to low, and cook for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour one-inch of oil into a large, deep skillet and heat over medium-high heat until very hot. Using tongs, dip the tortillas one-at-a-time in the hot oil for 5-to-10-seconds.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Spread some chile puree over the tortillas.
- Spoon some potato mixture to one side of each tortilla, diving it evenly among all of them, then fold the other half of the tortilla over the potato mixture.
- Brush the remaining puree over the outside of the tortillas.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, place the tacos on the griddle and cook, turning once, until crispy 1-to-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.