UPDATED November 15th, 2017
Just because you can’t have alcohol for the next nine months doesn’t mean the party is over, mom-to-be. In fact, there’s plenty to celebrate now before little one arrives and takes over your party schedule, converting it to zero. Non-alcoholic drinks, or mocktails, aren’t just for pregnant women anymore either. Plenty of folks on the wagon or those driving home are experimenting with the zesty, sweet, and sparkling flavors of these mocktail recipes and tasty elixirs that have bartenders around the world getting super creative with their ingredients. So what substitutes the fun stuff that caused the likes of Prohibition you ask? “The vast majority of nonalcoholic drinks end up including three elements: a citrus, a sweetener and effervescence. Carbonated water adds texture and acts as a bridge for other flavors, without contributing any additional sweetness,” Alex Day, from the Los Angeles bar, Honeycut, told the Wall Street Journal.
Remember to always try to substitute fresh ingredients when you can, even though it takes longer and may be more expensive, instead of opting for the canned or bottled versions; it’s better for you and for baby. And whether you enjoy these at your baby shower, with your partner, or by yourself, these 14 non-alcoholic drinks for pregnant gals won’t make you feel like you’re missing out, but clued-in on where it is at, mama.
1. Cucumber-Coolers Feeling hot flashes that are evidently not menopausal? Cool off with this delicious cucumber virgin cocktail. No gin, but plenty of pineapple chunks, cucumber water, a drop of sugar, and club soda. Like a face mask, but for your soul.
Read Related: Mocktails From Mixologist Tyler Lymer
2. Apple-Ginger Sparklers Go ahead, let the bubbles go to your head, mama-to-be. There’s something about bubbles and ice in your drink that allows one to imagine that there’s alcohol floating around. Kick back with this cider spiked with ginger and cinnamon mocktail.
3. Virgin Grapefruit Mojito This is one of our favorite mocktail recipes. While all those around you are downing their mojitos and getting buzzed, sip on this delicious virgin version free of drunk babble and a hangover. All you’ll need is grapefruit juice, agave syrup, mint leaves, and pink grapefruit soda.
4. Chocolate Martini This is beyond non-alcoholic drinks, mostly because it involves chocolate. Just because you can’t have alcohol doesn’t mean that the next best thing (chocolate!) can’t be served up cold, smooth and straight up in a martini glass. Whip out the best quality chocolate syrup you can find, add corn syrup, crushed ice, and milk, shake it up, and don’t forget to add chocolate sprinkles around the rim.
5. Spicy Lemon Raspberry Cooler Lemon and raspberries are some of the healthiest fruits you can put in your body while pregnant. This mocktail not only bursts with antioxidants, but the minute the ginger beer hits your palette you’ll see sparks. Garnish with floating raspberries and serve in a whisky glass.
6. Sparkling Sangria Get your inner flamenco-dancing-gypsy all fired up with this fruity virgin sangria. Just add apples, strawberries, oranges and frozen grapes to sparkling grape juice and olé, it’s ready to serve in a big ol’ wine glass.
7. Alcohol-Free Mint Julep Break out those frozen goblets you had in your freezer before the pregnancy and fill ‘em up with this delicious elixir that requires combining water, sugar and mint in a saucepan to boil, letting it cool, and then adding the lemon mixture and fresh mint sprigs. How sweet it is.
8. Peach Cooler Relax tonight with your favorite television show and let this icy cooler leave you feeling just peachy. In a wine glass, add ice, seltzer, peach juice, grape juice, and a fresh slice of peach for color and extra taste.
9. Driver’s Punch This virgin Cosmopolitan will have you cruising through memories of your Sex and the City Days before you had baby on the way. All you’ll need is a little sparkling apple juice blended with blood orange juice, cranberries, lime and orange. And a martini glass, of course!
10. Iced Green Tea Elixir Green tea is not only packed with antioxidants it will also give you a pick me up feeling if you want to serve these mocktails for long evening event. You’ll need pomegranate and ginger syrups, Chinese green tea leaves, lemon juice, and mint.
11. Lemon Cheesecake Drink You read write: Cheesecake in a glass. Since you can’t have alcohol, you should drink cake. Obvs. Just blend together lemon juice, cream, nutmeg, sugar, yogurt, vanilla and ice cubes, and pour into a fancy glass. Garnish with nutmeg. This is one of the most decadent and perfect mocktail recipes in existence.
12. Mockito Packed with the same delectable flavors of its alcoholic twin, the mojito, the mockito needs soda water, lime wedges, mint leaves, apple juice, lime juice, elderflower cordial, and a sprig of mint. To your health, pretty mama!
13. Baby Bellini Has it been too long since you had a delicious Bellini with classic peach nectar and sparkling champagne? This mocktail will bring you back to the party by substituting champagne for chilled sparkling cider. Cheers!
14. Tropical Passion Mocktail Is all that baby and hubbie love making you feel all tropical and passionate? Then indulge your feminine powers with this healthy mocktail made of white grape juice, apple juice, passion fruit juice, and club soda, served on crushed ice. Then shake it and stir it, mama, like you know how.
Photo 4 courtesy of Food Network.com