Las Posadas is a holiday tradition that is commemorated throughout Mexico, Latin America, and the United States from December 16-24. Las Posadas is a time when guests gather to celebrate with music, the smashing of a piñata, rich savory foods, sweets, and tasty beverages. Nothing conveys the spirit of the holidays like sharing Las Posadas food with family and friends.
The main menu of traditional savory dishes usually gets most of the attention leaving behind everyone’s favorites: Mexican desserts and drinks. But this fun, creative and deliciously sweet Las Posadas food inspired by this distinctively Latin American holiday will surely have everyone praise you for your cooking talents.
The Dulce De Leche Cheesecake and Mexican Hot Chocolate Cocoa Pebbles Crunch Cookies are made with cereal, giving them a unique crunchiness and flavor that everyone will love! And the combination of warm apple cider and ginger syrup of the El Canelaso cocktail, created by mixologist J.D. Marin, is sure to keep guests cozy and warm, while spicing up the celebration.
Read Related: How to Throw Your Own Posada
DULCE DE LECHE CHEESECAKE
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
3 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar, divided
1 cup dulce de leche
½ cup sour cream
1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat cream cheese and ¼ cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add dulce de leche and sour cream; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour into 9-inch springform pan
3. Bake 50 to 55 min. or until center is almost set.
4. Run knife or metal spatula around side of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing side of pan.
5. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
6. Heat remaining 1/4 cup sugar in medium saucepan on medium heat 4 min. or until melted and golden brown.
7. Remove from heat & toss in cereal.
8. Spread cereal mixture in single layer in baking pan to cool.
9. Top with dulce de leche just before serving.
MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Makes: about 52
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
½ cup ground Cocoa Pebbles, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tps. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¾ cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. chili powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a food processor crush the cereal (about 1 cup of Cocoa Pebbles will yield ½ cup of ground cereal).
3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, ground cereal, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 ½ cups sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Scrape down side of the bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.
5. Chill dough for 1-2 hours.
6. In a small bowl combine the remaining ¼ cup ground cereal & ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon, and chili powder (if using). Using a tablespoon to measure, form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon-sugar cereal mixture.
7. Place, about 2 inches apart, on parchment-lined baking sheets. Press down lightly with a glass.
8. Bake until cookies are set about 8-10 minutes.
9. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container, up to 1 week.
EL CANELASO COCKTAIL
Makes: 1 drink, no drink contains more than 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol
Serving Glass: Mule mug
1.5 oz. Buchanan’s Special Reserve
4 oz. apple cider
¾ oz. ginger syrup
1 cinnamon stick and cloves for garnish
1 lemon wheel for garnish
1. Heat the apple cider & pour into a coffee mug.
2. Add the Buchanan’s Special Reserve and wait for at least 2 minutes
3. Garnish with the cinnamon stick, the lemon wheel and the cloves