UPDATED November 16th, 2017
Many Americans embrace a low carb diet that’s good for the heart and good for the waistline. Cutting back on carbs usually means eliminating cereals from our diets, as these popular items are usually high in carbs, particularly when served with milk. But if you don’t want to give up cereals entirely, be smart about the grain products you choose. You don’t have to trade low carb for low taste. Seek out cereals that are both good for you and beneficial to your low carb diet. Skip the sugar laden variety, watch portion control and you’ll maintain the low carb breakfast without losing the taste you crave. Try these high protein cereals that won’t leave you with a case of carb guilt!
1. Kay’s Naturals Protein Cereal Available in stores and online, Kay’s Naturals make low carb cereals that are also gluten free. Kay’scereals have added nuts and honey that provide a range of delicious tastes. They’ve also mke cookies and pretzels for snacking.
Read Related: 10 Kids’ Breakfast Cereals We’re Still Sweet On
2. Special K® Protein Cereal A bowl of Special K® Protein Cereal has a combination of proteins plus fiber, making it a great way to start the day. This good-for-you cereal is a blend of lightly sweetened wheat, soy and rice flakes that will keep you full all morning long.
3. Sensato High Fiber Hot Cereal For a great hot cereal start to the day, Sensato cereal provides a low carb, high fiber hot breakfast. This cereal, made from ground nuts, wheat bran, and flax seed meal is sugar free—just add hot water.
4. Kashi® GOLEAN Crunch!® Cereal Kashi Brand products include dinner meals, snacks, and great tasting cereals. A blend of 7 whole grains and sesame Kashi cereal is sweetened with a touch of honey and cinnamon. It can be served with cold milk, or for a hot breakfast, heat the milk first.
5. Nutritious Living Hi-Lo Cereal Low in carbs, this cereal is perfect for vegans as it contains no animal byproducts. In either vanilla almond or maple pecan flavor, this nutritious cereal can help control glucose levels.
6. Qi’a Superfood Chia, Buckwheat & Hemp Cereal Qi’a (pronounced Kee-ah) is made with chia, hemp and buckwheat, so it’s full of plant-based protein, fiber and omegas. Two tablespoons of cereal is enough to boost nutrition and energy all day long. Vanilla-dusted cranberries and almonds add delicious flavor and added nutrients.
7. Healthwise Cinnamon Vanilla Cereal One of 13 cereals under the Healthwise brand, this product is gluten free, lactose free and low in carbs and sugars. Available in stores and online, you’ll want to add all of these products to your shopping list.
8. Bear Naked® Original Cinnamon Protein Granola The original granola cereal, cinnamon is just one of the Bear Naked varieties. High in fiber, low in sugar and carbs, they make a great snack as well as a breakfast.