Henry Ford, automobile innovator and founder of Ford Motor Company, was a controversial figure during his life (1863-1947), but there is no question that he knew a thing or two about success. He essentially created the industry that would define America for most of the 20th century. From making the Ford Model T the most coveted car in the U.S., to innovating in marketing, manufacturing and labor practices, Ford knew how to build his empire and he knew the secrets to success.
Read Related: 10 Tips for Success in Life
Fortunately for us, Ford has a lot to say about success, too. Here are 15 of his best quotes on the subject:
1. Success is about creating value.
2. The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can’t are both right. Which one are you?
3. If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get to other person’s point of view and see things from that person’s angle as well as from your own.
4. If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.
5. To do more for the world than the world does for you: that is success.
6. You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.
7. If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.
8. Coming together is the beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.
9. If you say you can or you can’t you are right either way.
10. The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what is one’s destiny to do, and then do it.
11. Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
12. Failure is only the opportunity to more intelligently begin again.
13. Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success.
14. The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
15. One of the greatest discoveries a person makes, one of their great surprises, is to find they can do what they were afraid they couldn’t do.