They say that sex is like tennis: when it’s good, it’s awesome. When it’s bad, it’s still pretty good. But guess what? It seems there are many health benefits to female climax and sex. Doctors and scientists agree that a healthy sex life may increase a person’s overall well-being. Women climaxing can provide relief to symptoms of depression and reduce stress. Specifically, orgasms can have many health benefits. As Huff Post reports, a study conducted by the University of New York in Albany reported that semen acts as a natural antidepressant (for both men and women). The semen acts like an injection of antidepressant that gets absorbed by the vaginal tissue and goes directly into the bloodstream, thus reducing depression. Semen may also lower blood pressure in women.
Another study conducted in Amsterdam suggests that women who perform oral sex and swallow the sperm during pregnancy have less incidences of preeclampsia. Evidently, male orgasms are not only good for men—they are also good for us! But what about the female climax? Are there any health benefits for women when they reach the big “O”? The answer is a big resounding YES. Here’s our list:
1. Tension Reliever Orgasms relieve tension. Orgasms make the heart beat fast, which increases blood flow throughout the body. The muscular tautness experienced during sex is relieved through an orgasm, thus leading to a state of relaxation. Additionally, an orgasm relieves the tensions of the nervous system.
2. Sleep Aid Orgasms lead to better sleep because they act like a tranquilizer. The endorphins released during sex have a calming effect. It’s the reason you feel like conking out after you release.
Read Related: 15 Ways a Sexless Marriage Kills the Soul
3. Cravings Reducer A female climax can act like an appetite regulator. During sexual arousal, the body produces phenetylamine which is a natural amphetamine which may help to reduce cravings for junk food and sometimes smoking.
4. Weight Loss Orgasms burn calories. Scientists estimate that an orgasm burns between 60-100 calories. And that is not even counting all the calories you burn prior to reaching it (props to those multi-orgasmic women!).
5. Pain Reliever The female climax acts like a natural pain management tool. Menstrual cramps and headaches are vanished during an orgasm. Endorphins released during sex can increase pain tolerance in almost 70 percent during an orgasm. So next time you want to say “honey, I have a headache” to avoid sex, beware: your partner may offer the solution!
6. The Pursuit of Happiness Overall, an orgasm feels phenomenal. Centuries ago, when women suffered from hysteria and other mental illnesses, doctors blamed it on depression and many practitioners theorized that women were down due to lack of sexual stimulation. They recommended strategies for women climaxing to help them improve their mental health. Although there may not be a measure of how much orgasms lead to happiness, there is no need for scientific evidence to attest that reaching an orgasm is a source of instant gratification.