Thanks to good old winter, we’re freezing and in search of comfort food. We want a heart winter stew. We want soup. We crave lunches and dinners that are warming for our bodies and souls during these cold months and we know you do, too. There are few things better than a steaming bowl of stew with some crusty bread during the winter months, so we’re diving in head first. From the Crockpot to the stovetop, we know there’s an art to crafting the perfect stew recipe.
That said, take it from iconic chef, Julia Child: it doesn’t have to be perfect to be amazing. She said, “Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed. Eh bien, tant pis. Usually one’s cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile, and learn from her mistakes.” To help you create a wonderful, warming meals that requires no gritting of teeth, here are the ten best hearty winter soup recipes we could find.
1. Beef Stew with Winter Vegetables It’s classic, it’s basic, it’s delicious and it’s actually pretty easy. This recipe includes lots of healthy veggies and a cut of super economical beef chuck. It also smells positively divine as it simmers all afternoon on the stove.
Read Related: Weekend Cooking: Easy Stews (Guisos)
2. Kale and Black-Eyed Pea Stew When you think of stew, you usually think of meat and vegetables in a savory broth, right? Well this recipe is just as hearty and filling as its meat-filled counterparts but it’s vegan and filled with super foods to boot.
3. Old-Time Beef Stew Paula Deen does it right with this simple, delicious stew recipe filled with stew beef, carrots, celery and garlic, thickened with cornstarch. It’s probably what you think of when you imagine turn of the century stew and besides, there’s a reason this formula has been around for so many years.
4. Chicken Chili Stew Pinto beans and Picante sauce combine nicely with cubed chicken breast in this dish. Especially when you top your bowl with shredded cheese and sour cream. So much yum!
5. Spicy Thai Coconut Curry If you’re looking for warming on a cold winter’s night, this might be just the thing for you. This is one of the hearty winter soup recipes that’s essentially a vegan variation on stew. It’s spicy and creamy thanks to Thai red curry paste and coconut milk and cream. And, if you’re craving a little meat, you can toss in cubed chicken or shrimp and it would be incredible.
6. Slow Cooker Beef Stew As promised, here is the crock-pot variation on the classic stovetop beef stew. This recipe includes cremini mushrooms which we think is a neat addition.
7. Italian Pork Stew When you get tired of beef stew (who gets tired of beef stew?), here’s an Italian pork stew recipe we’ve been dying to try. Lots of chopped bell peppers should combine really well with chopped boneless pork loin.
8. Chicken Stew This stew recipe is basic and simple so we’re pretty sure anyone could pull it off. The shredded chicken will soak up the savory broth and become juicy bites of meat quickly.
9. Oyster Stew Another traditional recipe from Paula Deen, Oyster stew isn’t something most people think of when they think of stew recipes. This soupy goodness includes butter and a quart of half and half. It also has a whole bunch of 5-star reviews so we’re thinking it’s quite possibly going to be one of the best things we’ve ever made.
10. Seafood Stew Inspired by the Oyster Stew above, we found a winter stew recipe that incorporates those hearty winter vegetables we love in a stew with the healthy fats and protein that come from fish, shrimp and mussels. We’re thinking this should definitely be served with a large chunk of crusty French bread rubbed with some butter and fresh garlic.
Photos 2, 3, 5 & 7 courtesy of Food Network.com.