- The first-ever episode, which aired in 1979 (pre-Ellen, pre-Will & Grace, and pre-Modern Family), had Blair accusing a fellow classmate of being a lesbian because she was a tomboy.
- In a later episode, the very same Blair takes it upon herself to get Natalie in touch with her birth mother.
- At one point, Jo dreams of her dad attending an award ceremony where she’ll be honored, but she’s weary of her peers finding out about his questionable past.
- In another episode the girls came home to the discovery that their home had burned to the ground. They had to literally pull together their resources, skills and talents to rebuild the place…to build a new foundation.
- When African-American Tootie develops a crush on a black boy, tensions rise among her all-white friends.
- Then there was Geri, Blair’s cousin who suffered with cerebral palsy, and who was the first handicapped person to play a regular role on a prime time sitcom.