You can please the whole family with this quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe shared with us from the Food Network Kitchen. The chefs have turned classic tamales into an Irish shepherd’s pie-style casserole with a cornmeal topping.
Read Related: Tamales From Start To Finish
CHICKEN TAMALE PIE
Prep Time: 5 min.
Inactive: 15 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
3 cups diced cooked chicken (about 12 ounces)
1 ½ cups prepared salsa
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 scallions sliced (white & green parts)
¾ cup cornmeal
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
Sour cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat the chicken, salsa, beans, 1/2 cup of the broth and the chili powder in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, stirring, until simmering. Stir in the scallions and remove from the heat.
3. Meanwhile, combine the cornmeal with the remaining 1 cup broth and 1 cup water in a medium pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, until very thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and butter. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. Spread the cornmeal mixture over the filling and bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
6. Let stand for 15 minutes and serve with sour cream.