1 clove garlic, peeled
3 Roma tomatoes, quartered
½ white onion
12 poached chicken breasts, shredded
12 white corn large tortillas *
Wood toothpicks or skewers
1 cup canola oil
½ cup crema mexicana
Romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
½ cup Salsa verde con aguacate
¼ queso fresco, finely crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Read Related: Do-It-Ahead Chicken Chiles Rellenos
- Blend garlic, onion and tomatoes in the blender or small food processor.
- Heat 1 T oil in a sauté pan, and fry the tomato mixture, until it has reduced slightly, about 10 min.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and season to taste with salt. Set aside to cool.
- Warm up the tortilla slightly, so they will be soft and easy to roll without breaking, you can also try to spray a little water before warming them.
- Fill the soften tortillas with the chicken tomato mixture, do not overstuff the tacos. Roll them and secure the tacos with a toothpick or skewer, the seam should be on the side, next to the other taco, so they stay closed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a sauté pan; fry the tacos, turning them to get a nice deep gold color.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels
- Place two tacos per person in a plate and drizzle crema on top. Add some lettuce on top, drizzle with salsa and top with the crumbled cheese.
Note: Another method is to heat the oil, and very quickly submerge the tortillas to soften.