Bikini season is almost here, although the extended effects of the Polar Vortex had us wondering whether spring and summer would ever come around! After a long winter of indulging in comfort foods and bundling up to step outside, who dares to bare her body at the pool or the beach without some prepping? Busy moms don’t usually have the time or budget to check themselves into a spa retreat, but instead we can follow these ten simple tips to get bikini ready!
1. Climb, crunch and dip. Focus your exercise routine on the areas that matter when you go to the beach! As a former certified fitness instructor, I know to amp these up every spring. For buns of steel, hit the stair master, climb up flights of real stairs or do squats. Fifteen to twenty minute sessions three to five times a week should do the trick. To tone your abs, do one hundred crunches and the plank for sixty seconds every morning before breakfast and every night before bed. To firm your arms, do daily tricep dips: aim for 3 to 4 sets of 25, for at least a month.
2. Detox smartly. Drink a detox tea daily, hydrate with water and juice and increase your intake of fruits and veggies. According to Web MD, “anybody can benefit from a cleansing. The body is coming out of what might be called hibernation. It’s a way you can jump-start your body for a more active life, a healthier life.” Spring is the perfect time to do this, but make sure you consult with your doctor before any kind of detox activities.
3. Stretch it out. Two of the many benefits of stretching, as stated by physical therapy expert Laura Inveriarity, D.O, are stress-relief and improved posture, which will help you look good and feel even better in your swimsuit. Check out your local gym for stretching or yoga classes. Tips for at home stretching: do static stretches and hold for a minimum of 30 seconds. Stretch both sides of the body equally. Breathe deeply while you stretch.
4. Hit the snooze button. Among the many benefits of getting enough sleep—between 6 and 9 hours a night depending on individual needs—are shedding pounds and keeping off the weight. Health Magazine states that dieters who are well rested can lose more fat than those who are sleep deprived. So starting today, make sure you sleep as much as you need to!
5. De-fuzz your legs. Smooth, glowing, fuzz-free legs are a must at the pool, the beach, or when wearing shorts. What are your options? Shaving is a short term option. And while waxing yields longer-term results, it’s expensive and time consuming, and you have to wait for the regrowth to be long enough to wax again. So if you don’t want to deal with the stubble and then pay for a leg wax every six weeks, an at-home epilation system is just as effective and more convenient. I like the Braun Silk-épil, as it plucks the hair from the root, with results lasting around four weeks. Another advantage of the epilator is that it is able to remove hair four times shorter than wax can catch. You can browse their online coupons to buy it at a discount.
6. Exfoliate and moisturize your skin. You can exfoliate your legs and your entire body to uncover bright and glowing skin with the innovative high-density exfoliation brush of the Braun Silk-épil 7 SkinSpa. This cordless and ergonomic epilator model removes dead skin cells by means of a micro-vibration massage (the brush incorporates sonic technology, with 3,000 micro-vibrations per minute) and it can also be used in the bath or shower—even underwater—for an at-home spa experience. This removes dead skin cells and reveals more youthful and radiant skin. Follow up with your regular moisturizer for supple looking skin. Although ideally you should be doing this year-round, it’s even more necessary when you are going to expose your skin to the elements. Compare the different Silk-épil models and accessories and browse their online coupons here.
7. Bare your bikini line. You didn’t do all this work to get bikini ready so you could sport a shaggy bikini line. Once again, waxing or a home epilator will give you similar results, but the epilator is a more convenient and affordable option. I used to wax at a salon until I had a baby. Then I decided to buy an epilator so that I could remove body hair at home, in pockets of free time. It´s been thirteen years, and although at first it takes a little practice to master this method, it´s still my first choice. Hair grows back gradually weaker and with continued use, my skin is smoother than if I used a razor. And no strays peeking out of the sides of my bikini!
8. Massage your thighs. Massaging your thighs will help you improve circulation and the appearance of dimply skin, caused by underlying fat deposits, also known as cellulite. Ideally, you should use an effective anti-cellulite cream. In addition, keep in mind that the Silk-épil 7 SkinSpa has a high frequency massage system that stimulates your skin.
9. Tan safely. By now we know the dangers of the sun, such as skin-cancer and premature aging. If you want to prep yourself for the next step, then use a self-tanner, after exfoliating, moisturizing and defuzzing. Choose one that you can use to gradually build a tan without streaking.
10. Go swimsuit shopping! Now you are ready to follow swimwear tips to find the best bathing suit for your body type, and go shopping for one. If you feel in any way daunted by the prospect, take a girlfriend with you and remember, you are not alone! We’re all getting ready for bikini season together!
Editor’s Note: This post is brought to you by Braun and Mamiverse. Writer’s opinions are her own.