Spiritual inspiration is all around us, you just need to appreciate it when it comes along. Spirituality isn’t necessarily about practicing a religion or filling your house with crystals and incense. Although it can be if that’s what works for you. Really, it’s anything that makes you feel more present, more part of a larger whole and more at ease in your own skin. According to a recent TODAY survey many of us are already on a spiritual journey, “…62 percent of respondents said they do at least one of the following as a spiritual practice: meditation, mindfulness, reading religious texts, yoga, fasting, retreats or pilgrimages.” And according to Lisa Miller, Ph.D., author of The Spiritual Child: The New Science on Parenting for Health and Lifelong Thriving, “In a culture where often enormous amounts of money, empty fame, and cynicism have become toxic dominant values, our children need us to support their quest for a spiritually grounded life at every age.”
Here are eight ways that you can find spiritual inspiration every day.
1. Meditate Meditation has so many benefits, it’s almost crazy not to try it. In addition to kick-starting your spiritual journey, it reduces stress. You can take a class or try one of UCLA Health’s free online guided meditations to get started. Or download an app, like Sattva so you can take advantage of 10-15 minutes of quiet time on the go.
2. Forgive Holding on to anger can be a heavy weight to carry around. When you’re able to forgive and let go of grudges, you’ll be amazed at how much lighter your load feels. And then you can start focusing on the good things in your life.
Read Related: Spiritual Benefits of Volunteering
3. Look at the Stars Spend some time gazing at the stars and contemplating how immense our universe is. It’s an excellent reminder of how small our everyday worries are.
4. Banish Negativity Make an effort to be aware of when you start thinking negative thoughts about yourself or others. As soon as those dark clouds start descending, stop and take a breath. Then focus on what’s amazing about you and those around you.
5. Follow Your Intuition Get in touch with your gut instincts and learn to pay attention to them. Try not to over think decisions and trust your intuition to guide you in the right direction.
6. Unplug Take a break from technology for a day. And this includes your meditation apps! It’s not easy, so if you can’t manage a day try at least an hour or two. Go outside, do some family bonding or just stare into space and enjoy the peace and quiet.
7. Journal Writing down your thoughts each day is a great way to work through stress, focus on your goals and get in touch with your feelings.
8. Be Grateful Start each day by thinking about what you have to be grateful for. There’s always something! Negative memories make a much more lasting impression than positive ones so it’s easy to forget about the fabulous things in our lives.