Get in on the pumpkin flavored craze with these delicious and savory pumpkin recipes. Since we’re facing a possible canned pumpkin shortage this year, there’s no better time to take advantage of the fresh orange squash in stores and farmer’s markets right now. Your waistline with thank you! Even though we can’t get enough pumpkin flavored everything, few of us are getting all of the health benefits. Nielsen recently reported, “While 50% of U.S. consumers are actively trying to lose weight, they’re overlooking fresh pumpkin to satisfy their craving, instead opting for indulgent treats like baked goods, dips and sweets.”
Pumpkin is a fantastic source of fiber, vitamin A and potassium so get cooking with these 8 scrumptious savory pumpkin recipes.
1. Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese America’s favorite comfort food gets a pumpkin remix. This version adds Dijon mustard and garlic powder for a little extra kick.
3. Savory Pumpkin Pizza We love pumpkin and we love pizza so this is a win-win. Instead of tomato sauce a delicious pumpkin puree mixture coats the crust. Top with arugula and grated Havarti cheese.
4. Pumpkin Chili You’ll never miss the meat in this veggie chili. Chickpeas and black beans lend a healthy dose of protein and tons of flavor.
5. Dinner in a Pumpkin This is one of the easiest savory pumpkin recipes that you can easily tailor to suit any taste and it’s sure to be a family favorite. Imagine a hearty turkey and rice stew baked inside of a hollowed out pumpkin which becomes part of the dish as well. So fun!
6. Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola & Sage This quiche is pure decadence that you can serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s got a light, flaky phyllo dough crust filled with pumpkin, gorgonzola and eggs.
7. Savory Pumpkin Bites with Green Chile Aioli It’s not a fall party without some pumpkin apps! These are crunchy, savory pumpkin cookies made with oats and walnuts and served with an awesome green chili aioli.