We all work hard to look and feel beautiful each day. In fact, you probably spend a lot of time each morning perfecting your look, and a lot of time each night taking care of your of everything from your complexion to your hair to your smile. And it’s not just about sacrificing time to feel gorgeous; a recent report by InStyle Magazine found that “the average woman drops a cool $15,000 total during her lifetime on products.” That’s a LOT of money to look good. We don’t want to underestimate the importance of making an effort to focus on your own well being, and it’s no secret that looking good can instantly boost your confidence. But does looking good have to be so darn expensive?
Not necessarily. Vinegar—yes that same vinegar that is hiding in your pantry—can come in handy for a variety of beauty uses. It can improve your skin tone, give you a brighter smile and give you baby soft feet, no pedicure required. Here are 8 vinegar benefits uses for vinegar that you didn’t know were a thing, but that will be very useful in achieving a beautiful life.
1. To Soothe a Sunburn No matter how religiously you may apply sunscreen, we’ve all suffered a sunburn at one time or another. It’s never fun to pay the price for being in the sun too long with red, itchy, burning skin. And while vinegar won’t turn back time or help cure the burn, it definitely cools down the burning sensation. Applying vinegar (or a half vinegar, half water mixture) using a spray bottle or towel to the affected area.
2. Soothe Itchy Skin Because vinegar (specifically apple cider vinegar) has the ability to reduce inflammation, it can also make itchy and irritated skin look and feel better. To achieve an overall soothing effect, mix a little vinegar in your warm bath water.
3. Get Rid of Razor Burn Anyone who has ever shaved has probably experienced razor burn at some point, so you know firsthand that it is the WORST. It’s painful, it burns, it looks terrible and it’s just plain old unpleasant. Sure, there are products out there to help minimize the appearance of razor burn and soothe the irritated skin, but why pay top dollar when that bottle of vinegar can do the trick. As Livestrong reports, simply apply undiluted apple cider vinegar to the affected area with a cotton ball or Q-tip. The vinegar not only has anti-inflammatory properties but it also softens skin so the new hair can grow out more easily.
4. To Soften Your Feet Yes, pedicures are relaxing and heavenly, but they also add up to a lot of dough if you want to regularly tend to your tootsies. If you want an easy at-home trick to soften the soles of your feet and lessen the appearance of calluses, simply soak your feet in a vinegar bath and then remove dry skin with a pumice stone or brush. Less relaxing than a professional foot massage, but it really works and it’s MUCH cheaper.
5. To Remove Dandruff Raise your hand if you are embarrassed by white flakes that cover your shoulders and your clothes on a regular basis? Ugh, dandruff. It’s annoying and mortifying and can be so hard to get rid of. But vinegar can help remove dandruff when applied as a spray. Simply mix equal parts vinegar and water and apply to your scalp after a shampoo. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse and condition.
6. To Improve Your Complexion Clear skin is the dream, and you don’t need expensive or fancy products to make it happen. Using vinegar as a facial toner can help restore your skin’s PH balance, leaving your complexion healthy and glowing. In addition, using vinegar with your daily moisturizer can further smooth your skin. According to L’Oreal expert Christophe Robin, “because vinegar is acidic, it closes the pores of your skin and makes it extremely shiny.”
7. To Give Your Hair a Boost If you want shiny hair and you want to kiss dull strands goodbye, just grab that bottle of vinegar. Vinegar can remove unwanted residue and revitalize your hair by closing the cuticle of your hair so that each strand is shiny, soft and smooth.
8. To Whiten Your Teeth White teeth are always in style, but sometimes those professional whitening products can be harsh, expensive and require a visit to your dentist. For a quick at-home fix, try rinsing your mouth with vinegar solution. Mix two parts water with one-part apple cider and rinse the solution in your mouth for one minute for a natural, organic, and safe way to give your smile a bright boost.