Not everyone can take a summer vacation with the family. And even if you can, there’s still those other hot months to be weathered, at home. To help you make it through the rest of the summer season and even the fall, we’ve put together our best tips to help you enjoy the best staycation ever!
1. TREAT YOURSELF TO A HOME-SPA Collect your favorite beauty products or try our suggestions, and make sure that you incorporate a home beauty treatment to your summer staycation. Mamiverse Editor in Chief Lorraine C. Ladish recommends her summer pampering picks. From treating yourself to seaweed wraps while you read a good book to whitening your smile with Colgate products, we cover it all!
2. WEAR A FLATTERING SWIMSUIT Even if you don’t go to the Caribbean, you can still feel sexy and summery by wearing a body-shaping swimsuit. Read our tips to rock a swimsuit, no matter what your shape or size. The most important tip is to buy a suit that highlights your best attributes while downplaying the body parts you are not so happy about. It’s all about confidence! Remember you can always pair your swimsuit up with a great sarong and rock it!
3. CATCH A SUMMER MOVIE PREMIERE Check out this summer’s hot tickets, with the dates when each one will hit the big screen. There is a movie for every member of the family! There’s something exciting about enjoying a new feature in an air-conditioned movie theatre, knowing you’re safe from the sweltering heat for at least a couple of hours!
Read Related: 5 Fun Tips for a Stay-at-Home Date Night
4. GET THE KIDS TO READ A GOOD BOOK A kid who enjoys reading will never be bored. Mamiverse Book Review Editor Adriana Dominguez suggests a summer reading list for Latino kids of all ages. Remember to let your kids read books they pick! During the school year, they have to abide by school rules, so just see where their own curiosity takes them when they’re the ones in control!
5. ENGAGE IN CULTURAL ACTIVITIES Take advantage of the local libraries, museums and camps to help your kids use the summer for fun learning activities. This is something you can do year round, but when we’re caught up in our crazy schedules it’s easy to forget that we don’t have to travel far to soak up culture and new experiences. Be a tourist in your own city and visit all those places you may be scoffing at just because that’s not what the locals do.
6. KEEP THE KIDDOS ENTERTAINED All to often our kids moan “Mami, I’m bored!” From playing Mexican lotería to helping your kids build their own musical instruments, you will find seven activities to keep the kiddos craftily busy! Instead of letting them zone out with electronics, that also have their place in our children’s lives, have them get their hands dirty … and make some good old-fashioned arts and crafts!
7. HOST A SUMMER GARAGE SALE! Not only can you save money during summer break, but make some money on your staycation! A garage sale can be a fun family activity for a Saturday morning. Have the kids build a lemonade stand for your patrons! In preparation for the fall, go through your closets and see what you don’t really want to store for next summer! When you get rid of the clutter, you leave room for new energy and hey, maybe a pair of great fall shoes!
What tips would you add to our list?
Editor’s Note: This article is one in a series of pieces inspired by the end of summer and onset of fall brought to you by Colgate