Quinoa breakfast recipes? Absolutely! This ancient grain and superfood extraordinaire from South America is a great way to start the day. Quinoa was a staple of the Incan diet because it’s incredibly hearty and easy crop to grow and it’s packed with nutrients. This is also why the United Nations named 2013 the International Year of Quinoa. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon explained: “I hope this International Year will be a catalyst for learning about the potential of quinoa for food and nutrition security, for reducing poverty—especially among the world’s small farmers—and for environmentally sustainable agriculture.”
Although it’s called an ancient grain, quinoa is actually the seed of vegetable related to beets and spinach, so it’s a fantastic gluten-free alternative to the many wheat-based breakfast foods. Even better, it’s a complete protein as well as a good source of calcium, manganese and B vitamins so you’ll have plenty of energy to power through your day and plenty of fiber to keep you feeling full. With a light, nutty flavor and just a hint of crunchiness, it’s one of the most versatile foods around. Here are six quinoa recipes for breakfast that will inspire you to make it a morning ritual.
1. Breakfast Quinoa with Blueberries If you’re looking for simple, warm and cozy quinoa breakfast recipes, try Breakfast Quinoa with Blueberries courtesy of GOYA®. This delicious oatmeal alternative is lightly sweetened with brown sugar, seasoned with cinnamon, then topped with walnuts and blueberries. Yum!
Read Related: Crustless Quinoa Quiche
2. Spinach Quinoa Scramble Spinach Quinoa Scramble is an easy, protein packed power breakfast that will keep you feeling satisfied for hours. It’s only 365 calories a serving and has 19.6 grams of protein in addition to iron, calcium and vitamins A and C. This simple, savory dish makes a great light lunch, too.
3. Mexican Quinoa Breakfast Bowl This savory quinoa breakfast recipe features the red variety, for a tempting dash of color, cooked like oatmeal. Avocados, black beans and a cilantro and lime Greek yogurt topping give it a zesty Latin flair.
4. Quinoa Muffin Frittatas These Quinoa Muffin Frittatas may look like and taste like a decadent treat but they’re surprisingly simple and healthy. Just whip together some eggs, quinoa and chopped vegetables then pour the mixture into a muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes. It’s a great meal on the go or top it with cream cheese, bacon and chives for a fabulous brunch.
5. Strawberry Quinoa Pancakes We all love a good pancake breakfast but the carbo load tends to leave us feeling a little overstuffed and wanting a post-breakfast nap. Strawberry Quinoa Pancakes are made with skim milk and egg whites—red quinoa adds a slightly nutty flavor and little bit of crunch in addition to protein so they’re an (almost) guilt-free indulgence. The diced strawberries make the maple syrup topping a bit healthier and a lot tastier.
6. Blueberry Baked Quinoa & Oatmeal There’s nothing like a fantastic breakfast bake on a weekend morning. Steel-cut oats are a great source of fiber, eggs keep it moist, blueberries are antioxidant rich and by now we know the benefits of quinoa. With a little cinnamon and brown sugar it’s a meal the whole family will love.
Photo 3 courtesy of Food Network.com