Summer is the season for eating plenty of cool, crisp salads, so you need a few go-to salad dressing recipes to showcase your greens without adding tons of extra fat and calories. Now you can’t just put any dressing on any greens willy nilly, there’s an art to the pairing. Bon Appétit suggests, “Like wines, match the bold with the bold, and the light with the light. Second, try to strike the perfect balance of dressing and salad. Overdressing your salad makes it a soggy mess, while underdressing will leave something to be desired. Add dressing little by little—tasting as you go—to make sure you get the perfect amount.”
The Food Network has two simple formulas for whipping up a last-minute salad dressing. For vinaigrette mix 1 part acid, 3 parts oil +seasoning and for creamy mix 3 parts creamy, 1 part flavor + liquid to thin. We’ve made it even easier for you by rounding up 5 delectable salad dressing recipes.
1. Creamy Greek Yogurt Maple Dijon Salad Dressing Whip this up when you want a rich, creamy dressing or dip that’s healthy too. Greek yogurt is a protein packed, low-cal alternative to buttermilk or mayo. This dressing is a little tangy, a little sweet and equally tasty as a sandwich spread or veggie dip.
Read Related: 15 Cozy Autumn Salads to Help Keep Your Summer Bod
2. Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar Take advantage of blueberry season and make a big batch of Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar flavored with lime peel and cinnamon sticks. This recipes yields 5½ cups and it keeps in the fridge forever and you can use it alone as a drizzle for salad or mix it with oil for a vinaigrette.
3. Mariel’s Amazing Salad Dressing Actress Mariel Hemingway is the author of this super healthy salad dressing recipe. It’s essentially a puréed spinach salad so you get twice the green benefits. Throw spinach, basil, mustard, vinegar, olive oil and kalamata olives into a blender and voila!
4. Balsamic Almond & Turmeric Salad Dressing This dressing is a burst of flavor that will liven up even the most basic greens and it’s just as nutritious. Greek yogurt and almond butter give it protein and creamy nuttiness, turmeric and smoked paprika add some spice and honey takes the edge off. You’ll love it!
5. Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing Avocado is never low-fat but it’s the good kind so there’s no guilt! Creamy avocado mixed with equally creamy Greek yogurt and flavored with lime, garlic and cilantro makes a hearty dressing for salad, dip for chips or topping for tacos.