We’ve done a little research to find the lowest calorie alcohol for those of you who want to get (and stay) bikini-ready this summer without becoming tee-totalers. You’re welcome! Now, keeping your drinks diet friendly takes more than just low-calorie alcohol. First and foremost, downing six low-cal cocktails adds up quickly and the tipsier you get the more likely you are to start snacking on unhealthy foods.
Also, many mixers are loaded with sugar — soft drinks and syrups are biggies. Diet versions are always an option but if you want to keep it really healthy, stick to soda water (tonic contains sugar) with a splash of juice. Even if getting drunk isn’t your goal, the Get Drunk Not Fat smartphone app is great for parties and going out on the town. You can look up the calorie and alcohol content for any drink and it tracks your intake throughout the night.
1. Vodka Most vodka is around 40% alcohol and 100 calories per 1.5oz, making it some of the lowest calorie alcohol you can find. Vodka’s light flavor also makes it one of the most versatile. Mix it with a splash of grapefruit juice or indulge in a guilt-free cocktail like a Cucumber Basil Gimlet or a Bloody Mary Martini.
Read Related: Mocktails From Mixologist Tyler Lymer
2. Sake Sake is an often overlooked yet totally delicious adult beverage and it’s one of the lowest-calorie options. A 5oz serving of sake has about 150 calories and 14.5% alcohol content. That’s on par with white wine without the carbs! You can sip it chilled in the summer and warm in the winter.
3. Wine Spritzer Spritzers are the perfect summer refresher. And sparkling water is the perfect sugar and calorie-free mixer. Watering down your wine doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. Try these three delicious fruity, spicy white wine spritzers from A Beautiful Mess.
4. Tequila Tequila and summer are a match made in heaven. It has about 40% alcohol and 100 calories per 1.5oz. Many tequila cocktails do have a lot of sugar but you can sip the good stuff neat. If that’s a little too hardcore for you, try some lighter tequila cocktails like a Skinny Fresh Watermelon Margarita or a breezy Paloma made with soda, grapefruit juice and lime (skip the sugar to make it truly low-cal).
5. Eau de Vie Eau de Vie (Water of life in French) is a clear fruit brandy with about 40% alcohol and 100 calories per 1.5oz. It’s traditionally served as an after-dinner digestif for sipping but recently eau de vie has found a new life by adding uniquely subtle flavor to cocktails. Eau de vie comes in a variety of flavors like peach, apple, pear and raspberry. Pear is delicious with Champagne in a Brasserie Lebbe or enjoy a Raspberry Rickey with vodka and raspberry eau de vie.