There’s something extra special about transitional fall fashion. Perhaps it’s because adding layers gives you so much more variety. Perhaps it’s because adding layers is so much less stressful than the start of spring and revealing what’s been under those layers all winter. Either way, transitional dressing is all about layers and finding new ways to get a little more life out of your summer clothes.
These 15 summer-to-fall fashion essentials will revitalize your summer wardrobe and pave the way for a very stylish winter.
1. Skinny Scarf The skinny scarf never really goes out of style but this fall it’s a definite must-have. It’s got a 70’s glam rock vibe and it allows you to warm up while still baring some skin.
2. Denim Jacket Another classic, you can throw a denim jacket on over a summer dress, go denim on denim with jeans.
3. Mid-Calf Boots The ankle bootie gains a few inches for a slightly more sophisticated but no less versatile look. Mid-Calf Boots look fabulous with skinny jeans or culottes, they look equally great with short skirts and pencil skirts. Plus they make midi-length much easier to pull off.
4. Fashion Sneakers Fashion sneakers started catching on last year and they’re still an athleisure staple this season. You can go as simple or as glitzy as you want. The best part? So comfortable!
5. Long Vest Women (and gay men) of a certain age will remember that Bea Arthur was all about the long vest on Maude. A few even followed her to the Golden Girls. The modern long vest bears no relation to its shapeless polyester ancestor and it’s a definite investment piece.
6. Button-Front Skirt A button-front a-line above-the-knee skirt is universally flattering. As the temperature drops, just add tights.
7. Plaid Shirt When in doubt, pull out a plaid button-down shirt. It’s an easy weekend style that’s perfect for layering.
8. Poncho Ponchos are the height of cozy chic. This season’s wraps come in every length, fabric and range, from bundled up to architectural.
10. Denim Dress This 70’s throwback has been reinvented for 2015. A denim dress is perfect for cool temps — it’s the perfect middle ground between light cotton and thick wool.
11. Long-Sleeve Dress Whether it’s mini, maxi or somewhere in between, long sleeve dresses are made for layering.
12. Floppy Felt Hat Trade your summer straw for fall fashion felt and go boho chic or channel your inner Faye Dunaway in a floppy hat.
13. Tights You can never have too many pairs of tights. As summer ends, try open-weave, fishnet styles and work your way up to sweater tights by November.
14. Long Gloves We raised an eyebrow at Amal Clooney’s red carpet look at last year’s Oscars but this fall the long glove is everywhere.
15. Deep Crimson Lip Color And last but not least. Switch out your coral and fuchsia lip colors for a rich, deep crimson.