Since this tasty snack started catching on a couple of years ago, the avocado recipe has gone way beyond mashed avocado on toast. In fact, this healthy snack tastes so decadent it’s hard to believe that it’s really healthy. Yes avocados are high in fat, but it’s the good kind and if you stick to whole grain bread, it’s all good. Nutritionist McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN explains to Bon Appetit, “The combination of healthy fats from the avocado and carbohydrates from the cracker are incredibly satiating.”
So find out what all the buzz is about with a jazzed up avocado toast recipe from one of our 15 scrumptious selections.
1. Caprese Avocado Toast The only thing better than a light Caprese salad with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil is all of those tasty ingredients with avocado on toast and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Read Related: Weekend Cooking: Avocado Inspirations Part II
3. Egg & Avocado in a Hole This recipe is a sort of open-faced grilled egg and cheese sandwich with a slice of avocado surrounding the egg in the hole. The mouthwatering layer of melted cheese adds a bit more fat but you only live once!
4. Smashed Avocado, Black Bean & Roasted Tomato Toasts This is a hearty meal, with black beans for protein and cumin dusted roasted tomatoes for a burst of flavor. A sprinkle of pumpkin seeds gives it a little extra crunch.
5. Mexican Grilled Corn Avocado Toast Mexican grilled corn and queso fresco with fresh cilantro are a natural topping for this simple guacamole.
6. Blue Cheese & Strawberry Avocado Toast This is a simple sweet and savory snack that makes a fabulous breakfast, snack or appetizer.
7. Tartines with Avocado Mash & Grilled Shrimp The avocado mash is seasoned with cilantro and cayenne for a spicy kick and the grilled shrimp make it into a light, flavorful meal.
9. Avocado Toasts with Oaxacan Sesame Sauce The Oaxacan sesame sauce is made with sesame seeds, almonds and peanuts with red pepper. Spoon it over mashed avocado on toast for a nutty, savory, spicy delight.
10. Miso-Tahini Avocado Toast w/Black Sesame Gomasio This Japanese-inspired dish starts with a layer of miso-tahini, then sliced avocado and sprinkled with black sesame gomasio. It’s a delicate melange of nutty, lightly seasoned creamy crunchy heaven.
Photo 2 courtesy of Food Network.com