UPDATED June 17th, 2017
So maybe you tried it and maybe you haven’t. Chances are either you (admit it!) or your partner have at the very least thought about it. Anal sex, far from being the taboo it once was, is making its way into mainstream bedrooms everywhere. With a little patience, and possibly some lube, anal sex can result in a satisfying orgasm for both of you. Sexual intimacy is a normal part of a healthy relationship, so whatever brings pleasure to both parties is never a bad thing.
“Self-esteem can be easily boosted by the ability to surrender to pleasure and…brag about it,” says marriage and sex counselor, Limor Blockman. “Not necessarily to an outsider, but to ourselves; the fact that we allow ourselves to be exposed and enjoy it is a definite, well-proven self-esteem enhancer.” With that in mind (or behind, as it were), here are 12 anal sex benefits and reasons why a little backdoor action might actually be good for you.
1. You’ll be able to tap into your inner porn star. Get into the game with a few candles, some satin sheets and trust in your partner. The beauty of anal sex is that it asks you to charter new territory—and if that takes some role playing, so be it. Lube up, and think: lights, camera, action.
Read Related: 10 Kinds of Sexual Fetishism that Make You Say WTF?
2. You’ll make your partner really happy. There’s a real thrill in knowing you’re turning your partner on in a big way. Your turn next, right? Or just call it an IOU of the grandest proportions.
3. You may have the best orgasm of your life. “Stroking, massaging, and otherwise stimulating the anus can be intensely pleasurable. In fact, some women are able to orgasm from anal stimulation alone,” writes Dr. Hilda Hutcherson. Sold yet?
4. You’ll be more confident in and out of the bedroom. You know that feeling you get when you try something outside your comfort zone and succeed? Well one of the many anal sex benefits is the power to make you feel like a superhero. Think liberation, open-mindedness and courage!
5. It could be the start of a whole new world. Remember the heroine in Fifty Shades of Grey who found that adventurous sex turned her on? That could be you. And anal sex might only the beginning.
6. It will make you feel closer to your partner. Trust is a great part of sexual satisfaction. Trusting your partner to try anal sex and give you both an orgasm will bring your intimacy to a new level.
7. You’ll feel better physically. A recent study by Rutgers University determined that orgasms, which we know promote circulation, promote better sleep, relieve stress, and stimulate brain function.
8. You’ll feel more alive and connected to your inner self. Maybe you didn’t try anal sex before assuming it just wasn’t for you? But what if you try it and you find you love it? Won’t this mean you’ve come (pun intended) closer to knowing who you really are? Maybe, right?
9. You’ll sleep better. There’s a reason everyone always sleeps after sex—done right, it’s exhausting. Actually, done wrong it’s also exhausting. But a great orgasm, in particular, relaxes muscles and makes it easier to fall asleep. And many women are saying some of their greatest orgasms come from anal sex.
10. You’ll have more orgasms. Once you know what causes orgasms for you, and we hope anal sex is one, you’ll know how to have more orgasms.
11. It will help you get informed. We get it. The anus has no natural lubricant like the vagina, so anal sex can be painful. This just means you have to spend a little time figuring out how you and your partner can both receive pleasure.
12. It will open your mind. Anal sex benefits are not limited to one group or sexual orientation. What turns on one person could turn another off. But how will you know unless you try?