Are you still trying to come up with fabulous Mother’s Day gift ideas? There’s still time to find the perfect way to show your appreciation before May 10. Although mothers have been honored since the beginning of time, it’s only been a national holiday in the U.S. since 1914. Anna Jarvis proposed Mother’s Day as a tribute to her own mother’s tireless work with women’s organizations. it was initially meant to be celebrated by visiting moms and going to church but, as with just about all of our holidays, it quickly became a windfall for florists, greeting card companies and anyone selling mom-centric wares.
According to the National Retail Federation, Americans are expected to spend an average of $172.63 on mom this year and, “When it comes to gifts, the majority of consumers will pick up a greeting card for mom (80%), spending more than $786 million, and more than two-thirds (67.2%) of those celebrating will buy flowers, to the tune of $2.4 billion.” Jewelry is one of the most popular Mother’s Day gifts, followed by clothing, house wares and electronics.
Of course quality time is the best present you can give the moms in your life, but a truly thoughtful token of your love and appreciation will make her feel extra special. We’ve found 10 fabulous, unique Mother’s Day gift ideas that you haven’t even thought of yet!
1. The Stylish Mom A great scarf is every stylish mom’s go-to accessory. This airy cotton and rayon blend J. Crew Summer Striped Scarf ($49.50) goes just about with everything. When in doubt, tops the list of gift ideas for mom.
2. The Fit Mom The Swarovski Shine Collection ($169-$249) of activity tracking jewelry is sheer brilliance—figuratively and literally. No one would ever guess that these sparkly baubles are actually fitness trackers disguised as watches and pendants.
3. The Foodie Mom It’s always fun to come up with Mother’s Day gift ideas for foodies—especially if they share! If she’s got a sweet tooth try this scrumptious Dulce de Leche Assortment ($36) in Espresso, Chocolate Chipotle and Chai Spice flavors. If your mom prefers something savory, this Luxury Seasoning & Salts 6-Pack ($58) will take her dishes to the next level.
4. The Pampered Mom A Ling Jade Roller ($90) is just the thing for the pampered mom who has everything. This ancient Chinese skincare tool is said to remove toxins and puffiness, remove toxins and balance your qi. At the very least she’ll get a cooling, relaxing facial massage and it looks beautiful sitting on the counter.
5. The Mani/Pedi-Obsessed Mom Treat your mom to a lovely Mother’s Day Rose Bouquet Kit ($60) from Priti NYC. These four delicate shades of pink will have her fingers and toes summer-ready in a flash. Even better, Priti NYC polishes are vegan, eco-friendly and completely non-toxic. You may want to throw in a bottle of their Soy Nail Polish Remover ($13) too!
6. The Aspiring Container Garden Mom If your mom has never been able to keep anything green alive for more than a week, the Click & Grow Smart Herb Garden ($99.95) is a foolproof way to grow her own indoor herb garden. All you do is plug it in and add water. Amazing!
7. The Pet-Loving Mom This could be dangerous, especially if your mom loves to post endless YouTube videos of her precious pets, but you’ve got to admit it’s pretty genius. The Petcube ($199) is a sleek, wide-angle webcam that allows you to stream live video of what your pets are up to when you’re away from home straight to your Smartphone.
8. The Crafty Mom Lifetime learning is one of the best Mother’s Day gift ideas and these Brit + Co Brit + Co E-Classes ($19.99) are fantastic for moms who love to make things. With options like flower arranging, calligraphy and knitting, it’s hard to choose just one. But since they’re all under an hour and under $20, you don’t have to!
9. The Zen Mom Help your mom get in touch with her chakras and achieve a balanced state of awareness with chocolate! The Chakra Box ($30) contains seven vegan, dark chocolate truffles adorned with gorgeous yantra designs. They come in seven different flavors for each of her seven energy centers and the box includes a booklet to guide her through the experience with a mantra or positive affirmation for each truffle.
10. The Young Artist’s Mom What’s better than displaying your kids’ brilliant works of art on the refrigerator or in a nice frame on the wall? Turning them into 3-D sculptures! Moi offers three sizes ($129-$189). They’ll transform 2-D artwork into a durable objet d’art. It’s the perfect gift for moms with young kids who love to draw.