Most moms are on a quest for a healthy pancake recipe that kids will love just as much as the traditional carb and sugar loaded breakfast treat. Pancakes date back to Ancient Rome and they’re still a crowd-pleaser today. As the Maltese proverb states: He who goes to bed hungry dreams of pancakes. In many countries Fat Tuesday is referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day. The idea being that they were an easy way to use up any eggs and fats before Lent.
The good news is that if you want to learn how to make healthy pancakes without the sugar and fat, there are plenty out there. From savory to sweet, we’ve rounded up 10 of the tastiest takes on healthy pancake recipe ideas. Enjoy!
1. Oreo Cookie Pancakes They sound decadent, but these Oreo Cookie Pancakes are actually super healthy. And the kids will think they’re satisfying the ultimate dream of eating dessert for breakfast. They’re eggless and rely on nutritious coconut oil, a few tablespoons of milk and a dash of agave syrup for sweetness. The Oreo filling is made with vanilla yogurt and one or two crushed cookies.
Read Related: Kids Corner: Chocolate Strawberry Pancakes
2. Greek Yogurt Pancakes If you’re looking for a quick and easy basic healthy pancake recipe, these are ready in 20 minutes. Dress them up with blueberries or other fruit if you’re feeling fancy.
3. Honey Cloud Pancakes These Honey Cloud Pancakes make a gorgeous weekend breakfast or brunch. They’re sort of a cross between a soufflé, a frittata and a pancake. You start cooking them in a frying pan on the stove and then add fruit and pop them in the oven to finish cooking. Light, fluffy and utterly delicious.
4. Bacon, Eggs & Burger Pancakes The kids will go crazy over these—if you’re trying to get them interested in cooking, this should do the trick. Creative shapes, a little food coloring and boring pancakes are transformed into burgers and fries or eggs and bacon.
5. Soufflé Pancake with Apple-Pear Compote This scrumptious Soufflé Pancake makes a cozy winter breakfast or dessert. Nothing’s better than a compote of seasonal fruits.
6. Extra Fluffy Blueberry Almond Pancakes Greek yogurt is definitely the go-to healthy pancake ingredient—it adds protein and makes these Blueberry Almond Pancakes insanely fluffy.
7. Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Pancakes This is a sugar and gluten-free option that can be flavored with cinnamon for a sweeter option or topped with more peanut butter for a savory snack.
8. Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes Whole grains are excellent for serving up plenty of fiber for long-lasting energy. These Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes are extra fluffy, flavored with cinnamon and sweetened with just two tablespoons of brown sugar. Top them with fruit for a scrumptious well-rounded meal.
9. Crispy Zucchini & Potato Pancakes Giada De Laurentiis knows how to make healthy pancakes that are loaded with flavor and look divine. This lighter take on latkes gets a nutritional boost from zucchini. Drizzled with olive oil and topped with mascarpone, you can serve these for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
10. High Protein Pancakes with Banana Cream Sauce This healthy pancake recipe is a perfect pre-workout breakfast. The added protein powder gives you extra energy, bananas provide potassium and Greek yogurt has protein and probiotics. Filling, delicious and packed with nutrition!
Photos 5 & 9 courtesy of Food Network.com