It’s almost fall but before you start dreaming about apples, why not try a few fresh pear recipes? Pears are deliciously juicy with a light flavor that makes them the perfect end of summer ingredient. And many people don’t realize that pears may do an even better job of keeping the doctor away than apples as long as you eat the skin too. They are an excellent source of fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients which help to ward off type 2 diabetes and cancer. Not only that, a recent Australian study found that eating a pear before a night of drinking may ward off hangovers. According to research director for Nutrition and Health with the CSIRO, Professor Manny Noakes, “Believe it or not, there are effects that pears may have on the amount of blood alcohol after an alcoholic drink.” Who would have guessed?
So reap all the benefits with these 10 recipes for fresh pears.
1. Fresh Pear, Fig Jam & Goat Cheese Pizza Revamp pizza night with this sweet and savory recipe. It’s so simple and it makes an ideal dinner for the kids or fantastic gourmet party fare.
2. Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese Because of their delicate flavor, there are tons of fresh pear recipes that pair (No pun intended!) them with cheese. Ina Garten’s recipe makes a wonderful warm fall salad. The roasted pear halves are stuffed with cranberries, walnuts and blue cheese then covered in a sauce of brown sugar, apple cider and port before baking.
3. Pear & Pomegranate Salsa If you’re looking for the perfect side for your end of summer get-together, this is it! Sweet pears and tart pomegranates mixed with lime, onions, cilantro and jalapeño for a little kick. It’s delish with chips, bruschetta, on tacos, fish…almost everything!
4. Rustic Pear Tart We had to include this classic in our list of fresh pear recipes. You can never wrong serving a Pear Tart for dessert.
5. Slow Roasted Pear Chips with Chocolate Sauce This is one of the simplest yet most decadent fresh pear recipes. All you do is bake thinly sliced pears in the oven and dip them in chocolate. Dip as you go or drizzle the chocolate over them and let it set before serving.
6. Pear & Pistachio Guacamole It’s a gorgeous fiesta in green! You’ll have to make triple batches of this nutty, creamy, fruity, spicy guac because it’s good enough to eat by the spoonful.
7. Pear Gorgonzola & Pecan Brussels Sprouts Slaw You really can’t have enough recipes for fresh pears and cheese. Although this is a side dish, it really is nutritious and hearty enough to make a light meal.
8. Pear Butter This super easy Pear Butter has all the fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. And it only takes an hour to prepare. Eat it on toast, add some flair to your PB&J or whip up a batch when you need a last-minute gift.
9. Pear Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust Or you can go a little fancier with this beautifully fluffy cheesecake. It has a light, clean flavor with lemon juice, pears and cream cheese and the crisp gingersnap crust adds just the right amount of weight.
10. French Pear Martini Now mixing pear into the alcohol will not ward off your hangover, so eat one before you imbibe. This is an airy, girly cocktail made with pear vodka, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur and Champagne. The glass is rimmed with lemon juice and sugar; garnish with a fresh pear slice and get your party started.
Photos 2, 4 & 6 courtesy of Food Network.com