There are so many kitchen gadgets out there it can be a challenge to figure out which ones would really make life easier. More importantly, which ones would make it easier to prepare healthy meals for you and your family. Cooking utensils run the gamut from super specialized tools for specific fruits and veggies to multifunction contraptions that do everything except put the food on the plate. To narrow it down a bit for you, we’ve found 10 must-have kitchen gadgets that make getting your RDA of fresh produce a breeze.
1. Omega 8006 Nutrition Center Juicer ($299.95) This juicer is a little pricey but it will pay for itself by allowing you and the fam to enjoy fresh juices every morning. This is a masticating juicer (rather than centrifugal) which means it operates at a slower speed to extract every nutritious drop, preserve enzymes and prevent oxidation. This means your juice stays fresh up to three days. You can also use it to make nut butters and baby food!
2. Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer ($35.95) America’s Test Kitchen gave this spiralizer top ratings. Once you discover the joy of turning zucchini and squash into healthy, gluten and carb-free mock spaghetti, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without one of these awesome kitchen gadgets.
3. Yonanas 987 Elite Healthy Dessert Maker ($89.95) If your kids head for the hills every time they see fruit on their plate, this genius contraption will change your life. It turns frozen fruit into a creamy soft serve frozen yogurt-esque dessert. Did we mention it’s 100% fruit with no added sugar? You can add other flavorings, like chocolate, if you like.
4. OXO Cherry & Olive Pitter ($12.95) With the holidays approaching, you definitely want to stock up on time-saving cooking utensils. This cherry and olive pitter will have you garnish cocktails and making fresh cherry pie in a flash.
5. OXO 3-in-1 Avocado Tool ($9.95) Peel, pit and create picture perfect avocado slices with this handy tool. Get ready for guacamole and avocado toast!
6. Aqua Zinger ($24.99) No more having to read the fine print on flavored water bottle labels to make sure there’s no added sugar or chemicals. The Aqua Zinger lets you infuse plain water with all-natural fruit or veggie flavor. You can make any combo you like — the produce goes in the bottom section of the bottle and you just twist to grind and infuse your water.
7. RSVP Quintuple Bladed Herb Scissors ($9.95) Mince fresh herbs for garnish or cooking in just a couple of snips with these fantastic five-blade scissors.
8. Food Huggers ($9.99 set of 4) No more wrestling with cling wrap or baggies to preserve cut produce. These silicone Food Huggers come in four sizes that fit like a cap on the cut end of fruit or vegetables. There’s even a special avocado shaped one.
9. Fusionbrands Silicone Food Pod Cooking Basket and Strainer ($13.95) This space-age looking pod clips to the edge of any pan. Just put vegetables (or any other food) you want to boil in the pod and easily remove the pod and strain the veggies when they’re done. You’ll never have to worry about being splashed with boiling water again.
10. Kuhn Rikon Garlic Peeler ($7.95) Yes, it’s not a revolutionary new invention but if you don’t already have it, this is one cooking utensil you can’t live without.