Summer is almost here so start gathering your blackberry recipes now! You’ve got to take full advantage of this scrumptious bite-sized fruit while it lasts. Blackberry season peaks in June down south and July up north. This versatile fruit, which is just as delicious unadorned and freshly picked as it is boiled and reduced for canning, is just as tasty in savory dishes as desserts. Even better, blackberries are a guilt-free treat—they’re low-cal (only 62 calories a cup) and packed with antioxidants. They also contain high levels of tannin, which aids digestion, and salicylate, an analgesic also found in aspirin.
Blackberries recipes are always best if you make them with the freshest fruit and berry picking is a super fun family activity for a sunny afternoon. It’s also a great way to get kids excited about cooking and eating fruit. You can find out what crops are ready to harvest near you and where to go blackberry picking at PickYourOwn.org. We’ve found 10 scrumptious blackberry recipes to start your collection today.
1. Blackberry Jalapeno Glazed Pork Tenderloin This spicy/sweet recipe for pork tenderloin with a blackberry-jalapeno glaze comes to us courtesy of Guy Fieri. The glaze calls for blackberry preserves, rather than fresh, so it’s the perfect dish to get you in the mood for picking.
Read Related: 20 Facts to Know About Nature’s Super Fruit—Blueberries!
2. Peach-Blackberry Sangria If you’re looking for the perfect beverage to wow guests at your next summer soiree, this Peach-Blackberry Sangria fits the bill. The red wine and blackberries give it a rich, gorgeous color so it’s not just a fabulous adult refresher, it also looks beautiful in the glass.
3. Blackberry Mint Lime Fruit Leather This cool looking blackberry recipe is definitely a kid pleaser. And it’s an easy, healthy treat. You just throw everything into the food processor and pop it in the oven to bake. It takes about six hours, so plan accordingly. If your kids are skeptical about the mint leaf, you can always leave it out.
5. Easy Blackberry Ice Cream There’s nothing better than homemade ice cream with fresh fruit and simple ingredients on a hot summer day. The key word in this recipe is EASY. You just need cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, blackberries and a food processor.
6. Blackberry-Ginger Clafouti Clafouti is a traditional French dessert that’s somewhere between a cake and a custard. Aarti Sequeira’s blackberry-ginger version has an Indian flair thanks to the cinnamon, cardamom, clove marsala.
7. Blackberry Slump Blackberry Slump is similar to cobbler but a bit more like a pudding than a pie. This version is baked in the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream. Gooey, crumbly heaven!
8. Blackberry Pie Bars These Blackberry Pie Bars look decadent but if you use low-fat sour cream, they’re actually a healthy dessert. They’re also easy to make and the result is a more custardy, less messy take on cobbler.
9. Blackberry Butter Take your brunch game to the next level with fresh, homemade blackberry butter. Just whip together butter, honey and blackberries to make a heavenly spread for toast, bagels, pancakes, etc.
10. Blackberry Glazed Salmon Finally, we’ve got this incredible Blackberry-Glazed Salmon for a healthy dinner packed with protein, antioxidants and omega-3s. Whip this up when you want a light meal with clean, fresh flavors.
Photos 2, 4 & 6 courtesy of Food Network.com